Sunday, March 20, 2011

Purim 5771 (2011)

Today is Purim.  It's a delightful, happy holiday.  Everyone likes to wear costumes that are happy and original.  No scary costumes for us.  The custom is to bring gifts of food to our family, friends, neighbors and give money to the poor.  Yes, we do get some gifts in return but that is not the objective.  I like to save fabric scraps which are used at the bottom of my baskets and long thin strips of fabric as decorative ribbons.  I don't like to waste any fabric and I'm always happy at Purim time that I saved my little scraps.
 
These are some of the baskets that I gave out this year and of course there was some fat quarters included.
Rochel was given a special plant to thank her for all her efforts in teaching us Torah each week.

One of the many gifts that I received was from Naomi.  She painted this wooden spatula and made a delicious salad with pita bread.
This Purim treat was delivered by her husband and children.  Naomi made the children's costumes. 
When walking on the streets you see so many children dressed in their costumes and delivering their gifts.  There were too many for me to take but here are a couple.
 

Shoshana Ra made this for her grandchildren and she brought in a brides dress to see if anyone needed it as a Purim costume.

Esther L shared some photos of costumes she made in the past for her children.  This will give you an idea of the type of costumes that are popular on Purim.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. I love the pics of the all the kids...they are so cute. And the Thing 1 and Thing 2 costumes are the best (those are my nicknames for the kids LOL!!) Happy Purim, ladies.
    -Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious! Food, Children, Everything about Purim.

    ReplyDelete